Saturday, May 2, 2009

Just when you think you're done you start over

I was on the University campus a few days ago for a meeting with a certain "college" to learn about the pre-requisites and application process to enter their program. As I was circling the area around the Union building looking for parking I could feel my nervous system starting to react as I recalled the days of my life when I was a student and how great it felt to be done. Perhaps it was the memory of the horrible parking situation - reserved 'A' lots and 'U' lots and 30 minute parking meters - my meeting was for one hour.

I wanted to be on time to the meeting. In the back of my mind I thought there would be an attendance nazi from the college taking note of all the people who wandered in late. I imagined if I were late they would put a star next to my name on the attendance list and be sure to deduct points from my application to the college. It's competitive, you know. I was on time.

I left the meeting full of information and overwhelmed by the requirements. I felt like the oldest person in the room, and the smartest. Ok, maybe not that smart. If I were smart I would have done this 15 years ago. Oh to be a student again.

5 comments:

Heather said...

This is so exciting! Good luck with your application.

ML said...

Oh, yikes! Are you sure you want to go back to a world where you're no longer a smart, professional adult? You would think that in a doctorate program students would be treated as if they have some experience and common sense. Not so! I have a love/hate relationship with being a student, but I must say I am overjoyed to be done with it all in 1 week! What are you planning to study? I'm sure you will be great in anything. Maybe your professors won't be quite as egotistical and full of their own virtues as mine were.

Gold-E said...

Thanks! The prospect is exciting. ML - I'm freaking out, but I'm hoping the pain of the program is short term and the payoff goes beyond measure.

Slade said...

Kick some butt!

Louise Plummer said...

I was in graduate school at age 40. Best life changing event of my life. Go for it. And you WILL be smarter.