Thursday, November 8, 2007

Amish Friendship Bread


Earlier this week, Heidi brought a couple of Ziploc bags full of yellowish colored goo to work. After explaining that the goo is a starter for Amish Friendship Bread, which is like an advent calendar for a loaf of bread in that it requires 10 days of fermenting and some human attention (several days of mushing, adding a few ingredients, mushing some more and then baking), she asked if I would take a bag and pass it on, as instructed. I was excited to have the opportunity, as I had only heard of the AFB, but never received any for myself.

I brought the AFB starter home and sat it on the counter. For a couple of days I did as instructed and mushed the goo in the bag. I was really looking forward to the next step where instead of just mushing, I could actually add some ingredients.

The next day I get home from work and notice that Vic has taken the garbage out. Not only was the rank smell emanating from the bag shocking, but even more shocking was the fact that Vic actually took the garbage out (one might think the garbage removal as being a "boy" chore, but it has somehow been generally delegated to me).

Later, as I am preparing dinner, Vic comes into the kitchen and informs me that the house smelled like "ass" when he got home from work. He proceeds to inform me that he looked for anything in the kitchen that might be the culprit causing the smell. Continuing on he asks me, "And what was in that bag on the counter? I think that was what was causing the smell," he continues to say, "and it looked like ass! So I knew that was it, so I threw it away." Wait....WHAT!?! "NO!" I exclaimed. "That was my Amish Friendship Bread!" After having to explain the mushing and fermenting and 10 days of work that goes into the bread, and how disappointed Heidi was going to be when she finds out he had just thrown this away, all I get is, "Well, just get the recipe and start over." Too bad its a secret recipe only known to the Amish!
Needless to say, Vic was very apologetic and walked around with his tail between his legs the rest of the evening. Meanwhile, Heidi and I laughed until we cried, then she promised me she would give me another starter so I can continue with the 10 days of mushing.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That's pretty funny. Becaureful of the AFB curse of feeling guilty that you didn't pass it on and that you need to bake it all. It makes for a great holiday gift for friends and neighbors. Its super tasty too. GOod luck with that. It smells like bad beer, until you add all the fun stuff to it.

Nay said...

I did one of those last year but Scarlet ate it while we were at church. I had AFB all over the FR carpet - yup, smells awful for a while. Maybe you can start again and pass me a start.