Saturday, April 18, 2009

Half Marathon Goodness

Today marks the second year G and I have run the Salt Lake 1/2 marathon. You may recall our first 1/2 marathon last year - G "gave" it to me for Christmas. I spent the next three months prepping and training. Afterall, 13.1 miles is a long distance and I didn't want to die trying.



This year I don't think I prepared as well for the big event. Sure, I did several long runs the last month or so, but I slacked big-time on my weekly runs. G had me beat this year, particularly at mile 11.5, which was a pretty gradual incline up State Street. I slowed to a snails pace for fear of my calf muscles seizing up entirely on me, but G - who ran most of the way at my pace - at that point I let him loose like a dog free from a chain. We both had a goal to finish the race in under two hours, and slowing on the last couple miles was not acceptable (regardless, we both achieved our goal! G did finish about two minutes ahead of me though).



One thing we've learned on long distance runs is to go to the bathroom before starting a race. Last year G had to make a pit stop at one of the port-o-johns on the course. Not great for your time, especially since there's usually a waiting line. He finally got smart and decided to-heck with the port-o-john. Just ditch behind some guy's garage and let it out. This really happened on our recent 10 mile race down Emigration Canyon. Never mind that the river, 5 ft from where he got his relief, is also a watershed. This year we started the race late with about 1,000 other people because we, of course, were standing in line at the port-o-john. After looking at our results, this doesn't matter. It appears as if we literally passed 3,000 of the 4,200 participants along the route. Pat me on the back!



Although we're both a little sore after today's push, it's nothing a beef stick and a Diet Coke can't cure. I can assure you, I will sleep well tonight.

You may recognize the picture. It was one taken at last year's race. Since I wore the exact same thing today, this year's pictures won't be much different. Also, BIG THANKS to my dad and step-mom, who live along the race course, for being up bright and early to cheer us on!

7 comments:

TomKat said...

For the record...I made the sign. Sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on :( At least I scared the crap out of you at about mile nine!

Megan said...

Good job!! I saw you at the expo friday night but you got away before I could say hi. My husband ran the marathon but kindof wishes he ran the half.

Gold-E said...

Kate - it was great to actually PASS you on a race course. That doesn't happen everyday! Thanks for making the sign!

Megan - how did your husband do? I want to run a marathon someday, but after 13 miles I feel beat up so who knows when that will be?!

Megan said...

He did it in 5 hours. His goal is under 4, but... Half marathon for me is too much, so full would kill me. Hopefully you will do one someday though.

Lisa said...

Way to go! You guys are amazing! Running just makes me.... you know.

Brannon was not happy about the race that morning. It took him 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to class. He couldn't find a way out of the city!

Nay said...

Good job, kids. So proud of you!

Trieste said...

Way to go...you should be so proud of yourself. My sis ran in the race and said it was way tough for her too...especially the uphill part right towards the end of the race. If you got under 2 hours you did a great job too!