Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Fair Only Comes Once A Year...Thank Goodness

I took JW to the State Fair today. I thought it would be fun and maybe he would enjoy the animals since he is always so enthralled with Gramma Nay's chickens. I can see now why my parents never took us to the fair. First of all, you either pay big bucks for parking or you park 3 miles away. Have you ever seen where the fair grounds are located? G.H.E.T.T.O. You risk losing your rims if you don't pay for parking {I took the risk and LUCKILY I still had all four tires when I returned to my car}. Second, it costs $9/person to get in. Think about the cost for a family of six! And once you're in, it's more $$$ for cotton candy, hot dogs, unsafe rides, a glimpse at the most gigantic alligator in the world, never mind the endless booths of crap that appeal to every little kid. The one and only time we went to the fair I can remember my mom saying, "We aren't spending ANY money." I bet you can imagine how much fun we had that day.

Fortunately JW is small enough that he is free admission, loves to cruise in the stroller - so he didn't complain once about the 3 mile walk to and from the car; could care less about the rides or the most gigantic alligator in the world and hasn't tried a corn dog to know just how enticing a FOOT LONG corn dog can be. So we looked at animals, art and people. I especiallly loved the lady in the Creative Arts area who had gigantic painted on eye browns. She should have entered herself. I would have given her a blue ribbon. Holy cow! I was impressed. JW could have cared less.


Little lambsy wanted some attention. I gave the little guy a pat on the head. Once again, JW paid no attention.

Zuckerman's famous pig was some serious bacon. Never mind for JW. We strolled through the chicken barn too. JW thought, "Whoopty damn doo. I get to feed Gramma Nay's chickens whenever I want."
Do you see a theme here? I'm glad JW humored me even if he could have cared less. I think we'll do it again next year :)

3 comments:

TomKat said...

Haha. This made me laugh!

Ben is sitting here saying "Hey! We loved the fair growing up! I guess we didn't get out much, so we didn't do the fun stuff the Roos' did growing up."

Nay said...

Honestly, I think I've blocked out going to the fair with you kids. But I vaguely remember telling you we would not be spending any money. I think we did get cotton candy or something like that. Sorry. I don't think I'll be returning again next year. Very freaky.

Gold-E said...

I'm pretty sure you don't remember because we never went. It was too expensive (I get it now). You'll go next year, with me and Dubs. Maybe by then he'll think it's cool and we can all get our freak on ;)