Friday, December 28, 2007

Countdown to April 19, 2008



Mr. G suprised me this Christmas with a very special gift: a completed registration for the 3rd Annual SLC 1/2 Marathon (Merry Christmas to me!). We've been talking about tackling a marathon for some time now, but have never really been able to wrap our minds around 26.2 miles of running....without dying. So, we'll start with 13.1 miles with the sole goal of finishing the race. Never mind the race part, just finish.

To do this, we are going to start a rigorous 12 week training schedule, where every week we will run a long distance, starting with a 4 mile run (no sweat!) and gradually working our way up to 13 miles (I...can't...breathe!). Somewhere in there we will also need to reevaluate our diets to ensure we are properly carbed-up and hydrated. I keep reading about this energy gel used to keep the body strong during a long run, but the sound of it reminds me of Double Dare slime and the thought of ingesting it is repulsive. Maybe it is an acquired taste and actually becomes a staple runner's "food" one can not live without (ahem...doubtful). You do what you have to to survive.

Because you are the lucky readers of this blog, you get to hear about our progress, since I know talking about it to the world (all three of you who read my blog) will help me to complete this goal.

Wish us luck! Oh, and if you decide you, too, want to run the race let me know. It always helps to train with another person

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't be sure if that kind of gift is right up there with blender or if its really a cool thing? I want to try to run it. We'll see what AZ has in store for training. Maybe or maybe not. Good luck to both of you as you train.

TomKat said...

Oh sissy we will do it and we will be able to run the whole thing...I'm sure you can run farther than four miles!