Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Cowboy's Prayer

I was sent this prayer the other day. I don't know if I ever thanked the person who sent it, as it was received at a time when I really needed it. Funny how that is.

Lord, give me a wind in my face.
A wind with ice in it's teeth.
A wind in the mountains, too high for the fog.
A wind to stab me awake to the issues of life.

If we live and nothing ever happens,
well, it is a curse to our souls.
Always, always if we're alive, something's gonna happen;
if not then we're dead in our boots;
stuck in the slush and the muck and the mire.

So Lord, give me a wind in my face
to blow the fog from my brain.
A wind that cuts like a knife.
And, give me the strength to pull my feet from the miry bog.
The will to walk up the pathway too high for the fog.

2 comments:

Aquamama said...

I do like this prayer. I kept thinking this weekend as it stormed that the rain was washing the earth. I felt like I've been due for a cleansing!

Warrior Employment Project said...

Any chance you know who wrote this poem originally?