Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dank u Sinterklaasje


On the eve of December 5th, Sinterklaas sails by steamboat from Spain to the Netherlands with gifts for the children. The children leave their shoes by the chimney filled with carrots and straw to feed Sinterklaas' horse as he and "Zwarte Piet," or Black Pete, walk the roofs dropping gifts down the chimneys into the children's shoes. If the children have been good, they receive gifts and chocolate letters. If they are naughty, they get coal and sticks used for spanking.

I remember Sinterklaas coming to visit at my Grandparent's house. After telling Sinterklaas what we expected for Christmas, each of us would receive a chocolate letter. Then we would all sing "Sinterklaas Kapoentje."

Me (dressed as the angel that I am) and Sinterklaas
Many years later while several family members were planning a trip to Holland with my Grandparents, my Grandpa asked if any of us could speak Dutch. I broke out the only Dutch I knew - you got it - Sinterklaas Kapoentje. Everybody joined in with glee. Toni may have even harmonized. When we were finished with the song Grandpa shook his head laughing and said, "You guys don't know anything. That was terrible! Don't sing that in Holland." Apparently we completely slaughtered the words. Grandma tried to sweep up our mess by singing the song again properly, in her loudest most punctuated singing voice.

Here are the words, and how it is really sung.

Sinterklaas kapoentje
Gooi wat in mijn schoentje,
Gooi wat in mijn laarsje,
Dank u Sinterklaasje

Translation:
Saint-Nicolas Little Rascal,
Put something in my little shoe,
Put something in my little boot,
Thank you little Saint-Nicolas!

Vrolijk kerstfeest!

5 comments:

Slade said...

I mis-read this. I thought you typed 'Stinker Claus'.

5ofus said...

How fun. Thanks for sharing

lulu said...

I'm impressed you found the song online! It holds a special place in my heart. Love it!

Daniel said...

I never knew the real words...just tried to sound like everyone else (apparently pathetic)

Slade said...

Oh My Gosh!!! At the Waterford ballet recital yesterday they did a piece from Holland and they danced to this song! I was so excited that I 'kind of' knew it!