Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Church Bag Sophisticate


Introducing my latest project, the Ava bag crafted by yours truly, using the finest damask fabric by Joel Dewberry and coordinating fabric on the inside. The pattern indicated "easy" and it is, in fact, reversible. I couldn't resist. Not only did I order enough fabric for one bag, I picked up some fabric for an additional two, which is really four. A girl can never have enough pretty bags. I figured I could have it made in a couple of hours. It started coming together quite nicely, and rather quickly until step # 9: "Make Curved Trim and Handle" when everything fell apart. It all started to read the same - sew right sides at trim on bottom of contrasting side to top of trim right sides together for the contrasting side of handle facing. I was confused. I had to unpick many, many times to get it right. I even ended up re-cutting a few pieces of fabric, it was that bad (or I am that much a perfectionist). Then getting the top stitching to work perfectly with both sides of the bag (remember it's reversible) was another challenge. This bag took forever to make, but isn't it lovely? It's currently my "church" bag. It's roomy enough to carry my scrips, Sunday school manual, writing utensils, Kleenex, pack o' gum, chap stick, meeting programs, announcements and a baggy of Cheerios should I get hungry in the third hour.

11 comments:

Becca and Billy said...

Super cute! You should sell these as well.

Jody Knapp said...

OMG, I LOVE it! I need one! I keep forgetting to measure the girls heads too so I will get on that =)

Sarah said...

LOVE.IT! I could never make something like this, it would be a disaster. You're amazing!

Oh, and I am thankful for G too. ;-) And you! When are you coming to London, eh?

Rachel said...

Gotta have those Cheerios just in case. That's pretty spanky Sissy. Curves are not easy, which I learned from making a dress with a crazy neck line, sweetheart something. The pattern was a Vogue, never try Vogue. Curves are just hard.

TomKat said...

AH! I want one. what would it take for you to make me one?

Elizabeth R said...

That is so cute! You're so talented!

5ofus said...

Okay so when will you be selling these? I love it! This would so be my church bag & I would be the most stylish gal at church! How did you get all of my talents? I guess that means you have to share by making & selling. I am knitting purses (the felted ones) & I love those but these are so stinkin cute. Let me know when you are selling so I can order.
Thanks

Slade said...

I want one too. Sign me up. You think I'm kidding...I'm not.

Gold-E said...

Ok - what colors do you want? I'll make you a bag. I already know Kate likes red. It might be next Christmas before you get it though. I hope that's ok.

Slade said...

Colors? Oh I dunno. Just make it cute'n'sassy. I'll use it for my school bag.

5ofus said...

I love red also & black

I would even love if you taught a class on how to make them