Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanks

It has become tradition to gather on the Sunday before Thanksgiving to feast with my Dad. Just before dinner, we all take a turn to express gratitude for something in our lives. I wanted to say “48 – 24,” {Go Utes!!} but felt it was inappropriate after hearing others give thanks for employment, food, family, and new running shoes. Since then I have been thinking a lot about what I am grateful for. Here’s my short list:

G: I love G. He is a great husband. I know he tries so hard to keep me happy, even when it must seem virtually impossible.

Family: I have a big family. I have four parents*, in-laws and a zillion siblings. Sometimes it is overwhelming, especially during the holidays, to have so many families to choose from and no way of being with them all at the same time. I was complaining about this fact once to a friend who reminded me that there are many people who are alone during the holidays and I am lucky to have so many options. She is so right. I am lucky.
*We are not polygamist.

Home: We may not have the biggest house or the nicest yard on the street, but to me my house is a mansion. Dorothy was on to something – there is no place like home.

Food: This year is a rough year for many families who are doing their best to get buy. I have heard of more food drives than ever for people who can barely afford to eat. It really makes me think twice before I open my pantry chuck-full of canned goods and groan about having nothing to eat.

10 Fingers: I have played the piano basically my entire life. I actually wanted to take piano lessons. It is something I’ve always enjoyed and have found pleasure in doing. My Mother told me once that God gave me a special gift. While I've always thought I was an ok pianist, her comment gave me a greater appreciation for my talent and willingness to share it with others.

There are so many little things too. For example, you have no idea how happy I am that the city added an extra lane on Beck Street to relieve the rush-hour traffic, or that Brooks Fabrics finally hired me as one of their hemstitchers.

May we all take an inventory of the blessings in our life and say a prayer of gratitude. Happy Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

5ofus said...

You are so right. When we stop to think we are blessed beyond measure. Thank you for reminding me & thank you for always being such a dear friend and light in my life. May you have a joyous day of thanks.
Leah

Rachel said...

Hooray for having things to be thankful for, especially all those fingers. I've been thinking that ten really is too many and I should give one up. But really, really, its about time Brooks called you back and hired you. Let's get this thing going! Happy Thanksgiving, you're almost halfway to my house!

Louise Plummer said...

I love reading these thankful blogs. They make me thankful too. Nice.