Friday, November 21, 2008

Please Sun, Just Set

WARNING: if you are a die-hard Twilight fan I suggest you stop reading now. I’m about to exercise free speech and you might not appreciate what I have to say. Read at your own risk of being offended.

Last year my Mom and I made trip to Boston to visit my sister. While we were there my Mom started reading a book from my sister’s bookshelf called Twilight. Up until that point I had only heard of the book. My sister had given me her review. I wasn’t terribly intrigued by the subject matter so I never read it. My Mom finished the book before our four-day trip was over. Every spare second she was reading, reading, reading. I asked her what seemed like a question with an obvious answer, “Are you enjoying that book?” Her response was shocking. “No, not really,” she said. “The writing is terrible and the author goes on and on for pages describing what could be said in a paragraph…but I can’t put it down!” I’ve heard the same complaint from many, but they continue to remain faithful readers of the series. I wonder how books so poorly written can be so captivating?

Then came the movie announcement. Twilight frenzy and mayhem ensued. Every family blog in the country had a “Days until Twilight the Movie” counter on the side bar. This movie was to be the greatest hit since Harry Potter (another frenzy I could never understand. To this day I have not read more than the first 40 pages of book one. I did see one of the Harry Potter movies though. I slept through most of it). Then tickets went on sale. The faithful were scrambling to get in opening night. Ooh, the midnight showing – I’m there! Everyone wear your prom gowns!

STOP!!!!!!! This is out of hand.

Today while at lunch I sat with several Twilight lovers who were very disappointed in the movie. The bottom line: the book was better than the movie. Wow, if the book is as poorly written as everyone says how did the expectations for the movie get so high?

I just simply can not/will not get on this bandwagon. I don’t want to hear about the books or low-budget movie anymore. The word twilight has become as obnoxious as Sarah Palin. In fact, both of you can disappear together. The election is over. Go away!

2 comments:

Amy said...

OK, I just have to comment. That was the greatest blog I have read in a long time. I read the books because I am in young womens at church and wanted to know what the heck they are all talking about. They were entertaining in my opinion, but I absolutely LOVE your opinion! Good for you!

Gold-E said...

Thanks for still being my friend, Amy. I may have lost a few after this post :l I'm sure if I took the time to read these books I would be entertained, but I'm also sure I'll never read them.