Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gourmet Twist


I love a good soft preztel. When I worked at the BL in Trolley Square I used to go to Pretzel Maker almost every shift - the parmesean covered pretzel with a side of marinara dipping sauce was my favorite.

When I moved on to a bigger career, my job took me to NYC a couple times a year for industry conferences. I would ditch the conference lunches and networking events and wander the avenues. I remember passing a pretzel stand near Central Park thinking yes! a BIG New York pretzel for lunch. I don't know why, but something about the pretzel street vendor screamed classic New York snack. It had to be good. So one lunch hour I picked up a giant pretzel with a side of cheese sauce. I took a bite. Blech!! It was like chewing a warm piece of cardboard covered in cold orange goo. I wanted to love it. I tried to eat it, but I'd rather starve than choke it down. NYC pretzel vendor, you so disappointed me. I should have gone to the conference lunch.

Today I went to McDonald's for lunch. I almost never go there so little did I know they are now serving up soft pretzels. It sure looked good in the display box, but it's McDonald's - pretzels aren't really their specialty. Anyone dumb enough to buy that was taking a big fat $2.15 cardboardy risk. The risk taker I am, I indulged. I mean, what the heck, nothing could be worse than that NYC hockey puck. I went for the cinnamon twist and to my delightful suprise, it was hot, soft, cinnamony goodness. Next time I'm in NYC and want a big pretzel, forget the street vendor, I'm going to McDonald's!

6 comments:

the lawrence's said...

You must have come to the McDonalds in the foodcourt of my building! I know exactly what you're talking about!

Nay said...

My mouth is watering.... yummmm.

Rachel said...

I'm always jonesing for a pretzel when I walk by those places. Must be in our DNA.

TomKat said...

I have a great recipe for soft pretzels...yummy!

Gold-E said...

Yummy Kate. Send it to me!

Trieste said...

Yum...I didn't know they served pretzels either and now I'm craving one. I might have to stop by on my way home from work now...great.