Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Christmas Miracle


Tonight was my church's Christmas party. I admit, I've never been fond of the church Christmas party. There is always an attempt at making it a spiritual occasion with the primary kids acting out the Christmas story, but mostly it's just chaotic. Then all hell really breaks loose when right after everyone sings Silent Night the conductor turns to the crowd and announces, "Hey everyone, I heard we have a special visitor. Let's see if we can welcome him by singing Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer!!" Any Christmas spirit that was in the room has now blown right out the door as Santa Claus comes jingling in. The kids go wild. I go crazy.

That is why I don't go to the church Christmas party. I'd rather be home watching Tactical Armor on the Military channel with G.

This year I was asked to sing a duet for the program and also play the piano for a small ensemble. Basically, I guilted myself into participating because I wanted to be helpful. 'Tis the season, right? But the best part of the whole night--get ready--NO SANTA CLAUS! Nope. The program ended with a lovely musical number, our bishop said a few words and it was over. The end. Lights on, go home. Now THAT'S a church party worth attending. A Christmas miracle.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

We also had our church party tonight and also no jolly fat men. I was ok with that. We'll save it for the mall.

ML said...

I'll agree with you there. I can't even remember the last time I went to a ward Christmas party. I typically avoid them like the plague. One of our wards had the habit of running out of food at every event, which is always lovely since the food is the only reason I'm usually there anyway.

Nay said...

We planned for 90 people and 120 showed up. Does that tell you something? We did have enough food with one bowl of stew to spare. We did the typical nativity, but it started out with Mary barfing all over the place. I think it didn't go well after that. Then Santa came and handed out candy. I think that was the comic relief of the evening. My beautiful gingerbread boys and girls didn't even get handed out to the kids. Sigh.....

Gold-E said...

ML - our party was catered this year. Also a first. Not that the pot luck is bad, but it just seemed more fancy.

Nay - Sounds like a typical church party. A barfing Mary is a new one though. I guess she should be as realistic as possible. I hope you passed out your gingerbread people in primary. Nevernmind that is was fast Sunday :)

Trieste said...

I am the activities chairperson for my ward and I'm actually really glad that our Stake discourages Santa at the party since they want to focus on the spirit of Christmas/Christ. I love that...we usually have some entertainment and sing a few Christmas songs. I do agree it's awful to run out of food and thanks to me we always have plenty since it's a pet peeve or mine too. I wish we could cater...no money...we usually do ham/funeral potatoes/veggies/rolls and Costco cake. Nothing too fancy, but it's still pretty nice. I'm glad you like the simple ones too!

finalcorner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.