Sunday, July 29, 2007

Pull-over Picnics and Idaho

This weekend we were in Idaho searching out vacation property. Whether or not we found our dream vacation home is yet to be determined, but we did find Henry's Lake State Park campground a lovely place to pitch a tent and "enjoy" the great outdoors. I have to admit, I used to think RVs were for the weak, but after spending a few nights sleeping on the ground, I found myself wishing I was in the cushy quarters of an RV. Save the tent for backpacking. Give me an RV for camping. I'll even settle for a pop-up trailer.
Flashback to the early 1980s, family trip to Nowhere, U.S.A. We pull off the road onto a little, if ever used, dirt road and park ourselves under a tree. Mom hauls out the cooler full of wonder bread, peanut butter and honey, a bag of potato chips and Kool-Aide and we have ourselves a picnic. As a kid, for some reason, these pull-over picnics always made me uncomfortable. Why couldn't we just find a picnic table or better yet, a McDonald's? I would think to myself, "Let's just keep on driving to spare ourselves the humiliation of looking like such curmudgeons on the side of the road." I swore when it was my choice I would never subject myself to another lame pull-over picnic.
Well, give a kid 25 years and she'll discover that pull-over picnics aren't so bad. In fact, that turkey sandwich I made under this tree was quite delightful. And I might have said right out loud, "I think when we have kids, we should have pull-over picnics. It'll be good for them."

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Give a kid a car that doesn't break down and then pull-over picnics aren't so bad. Isn't that what you meant to say?

Gold-E said...

Funny you should mention the old car. I had originally mentioned driving in an old beater, but took it out. True, the old car was half the embarrassment!

Nay said...

Did you take your Camp In a Can Kit?

Gold-E said...

You mean the Happy Camper? Yes!