Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Moms

I love that there is one day a year where all of the focus is on Mom. All too often we forget what she's done for us - just think, as if giving birth wasn't enough, she wiped our bums, taught us to tie our shoes, gave us encouragement when our confidence was waivering, hugged us when we were sad, laughed when we were silly and ultimately showed us how to be good people. I am lucky enough to have three Moms in my life who are all amazing examples of motherhood. Here is a shout out to my Moms because each of you represent unconditional love, sacrifice and strength to raise any kid - angel or brat.

This is my Mom (a.k.a. Mumsie). She has always been my biggest fan. She never missed a game, a piano recital, a junior high orchestra concert (and we all can imagine how painful that can be!). She's seen some tough times, but has somehow managed to keep her chin up. I think this is because she is the ulitmate optimist. She has an instinct only a mother could have. If one of us kids is going through our own personal challenges, without fail the phone will ring and it will be mom saying, "I was just thinking about you. Everything o.k.?" Her love is deep and her example bright. I feel blessed to have her for my mom. I love you mumsie.

If you ever need a poster of a superior step-mom, here's your model. She came into our lives while we were still very young and has been a tremendous influence in so many ways. She's full of energy and confidence - it's impossible not to want to take some of that and apply to my own life. She's always looking out for the welfare of others, especially us kids. She'd give the shirt off her back if the need were presented. I appreciate the example she has been to me in so many ways.

I couldn't ask for a better mother-in-law. G grew up as the only boy with three sisters so for some reason it is a little intimidating to be the only "daughter-in-law." What I know is important is that Julie has always made me feel welcome. She goes out of her way to ensure everyone's needs are satisfied. She cooks up the best meals when we visit and always gives me sweet words of encouragement whenever my lack of domestic skills surface. As she puts it, "Dear, it's because I've had 40 years of practice." In reality I know she's a natural, but I always want to believe that in 40 years I can say the same thing to my kids. I know she loves her family deeply, inspite of ourselves. Thank you Julie for the example and mentor you are to me.


2 comments:

lulu said...

I love this post.

Nay said...

I love you, Becky. Oops...I'm cryin!