Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Simple Courtesy

Yesterday I left the office for lunch, and being that it was such a beautiful day, I decided instead of going back to the office to eat, I would stay outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. Because I would just be sitting on the plaza directly outside the restaurant, I figured I could just carry my sandwich, cookie and a beverage without getting a bag to carry it. Well, the exit door was an unusually heavy metal and glass door, one that I had to basically force my entire body against to push open since my hands were occupied with my food and beverage. Just as I was about to make the push, a man walked through the first door. I figured he would see my awkwardness of having both hands full while trying to push the door and grab the door for me. Instead, he quickly bolted to the other entry and walked right by. I was so shocked I had to make a fast maneuver to avoid dropping my cookie.

I consider myself a modern women; educated, successful, self-sufficient - I can open my own door when necessary, but when it comes to chivalry, while it may seem like an old fashion concept - saving the damsel in distress - still has modern day application. It's called simple courtesy. I'm not saying you have to lay your velvet jacket over a puddle. A piggy-back will do. It's that simple. Take note my friends (particularly you male ones).

1. If a person is walking through a door and her hands are full with, let's say, her lunch, get the door for her. And if her hands are not full - get the door!

2. If a lady, especially one who is pregnant or elderly, walks onto a crowded, standing-room-only bus or train and you have a seat, get up and offer her your seat. Don't pretend like you didn't see her. You're not fooling anyone. You just look like a fool.

3. Put the toilet seat down. There is nothing worse then getting up in the middle of the night and while half asleep taking a deep plunge onto cold procelain and who-knows-what else.

4. Hey, when it's cold outside, offer her your jacket. Men are inherently warmer than women anyway, so give it up.

5. Remember when the boy liked the girl he offered to carry her books? Why? Because they're heavy. Well, this still applies and not just to books, but groceries, luggage, rocks, whatever. You take the heavy load. Flex those trophy muscles.

It's time to adapt. Get these few basic, simple courtesies ingrained into your DNA. It will only make your manhood stronger and your ladies love you that much more.

6 comments:

ML said...

You're funny. But I have to say I completely agree!

Elizabeth R said...

Amen sister. Drives me crazy when people aren't naturally courteous. I dont say to myself "That person just doesn't know what common courtesy is". I think to myself, "That person is an a-hole."

Aquamama said...

Good lessons for me to make sure I teach my son!

lulu said...

I hear ya woman!

Lisa said...

You said it! Can't we all just get along?

Boo said...

That sh-- went out the door with Women's Lib.