Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Next Big Step

I have worked for my firm for almost ten years. I have watched it grow during this time period from 30 people (I was about the 30th employee) to nearly 120 employees. Our assets grew from under $1 billion to over $10 billion. Unfortunately, we are a market driven business. When the bear enters the room, things can get ugly. Today was ugly. For the first time in our firm's 30 year history, people were laid off. Nearly 30% of our people, including half my department. Good, hard working people. I am so fortunate to remain standing and employed, but I lost some really dear friends. I worry for them. I cry for them. They wonder, "Why me?" I wonder, "Why not me?" These are extraordinarily talented people. Every one of them. I will miss them dearly. Now is the time for me to refocus and adjust my attitude. There is a lot of work to be done. It is time to rebuild and grow again.

5 comments:

5ofus said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I love your baby store. I put a link on my blog. We need to get together.
Leah

Rachel said...

Gosh sissy it sounds so much more sad stated that way.

Lisa said...

That really sucks! It can't be a fun thing to have to say goodbye to those you have spent the day with for years!

lulu said...

The comic reminds me of the movie, Hudsucker Proxy. Have you seen it?
I'm sorry to hear the news.

TomKat said...

It will all be okay sissy...the awkward phase will be over soon and hopefully the market will turn around. Us laid off-ers will be okay :)