Thursday, January 15, 2009

Countdown to April 18, 2009

Last year G and I ran the Salt Lake Half Marathon. It was quite the accomplishment for both of us and a big step towards running a full marathon. I think I am finally mentally prepared for 26.2 miles. I thought I had Kate on board to run it with me, but apparently she's broken her ankle snowboarding. G is trying to convince me to run the half again, and beat our time from last year. When talking to my mom about it, she said, "Why would anyone ever want to do that?" So now that I've rallied my support group, let the count down begin. Every week I go for a "long run" and every week my long run gets longer than the weeks before. This week I am on my seven miler. Easy. It's when I get to the 20 miler when I might see the wisdom in my mom's question.

8 comments:

lulu said...

You go girl! There's support for you in St. Louis, okay?

Elizabeth R said...

Haha.. I heard G and Kati talking about doing the half again and bagging the full. I say, good for you. I'm just getting into running and I can't even fathom your 7 mile run, let alone 26 something. I will cheer you on!

Sarah said...

Good luck!! Has it been hard to get runs in with all the snow, etc? I have always had a hard time with training in the winter- I hate going out in the cold and dark!!

Gold-E said...

It is hard to train in the winter and right now there is a serious inversion. So I head indoors. It sucks to run long distances on the treadmill, but it's better than sucking in crappy air!

Thanks for the support!!

Rachel said...

You'll be fine, and someday, if your body decides to abandon all hope, you can at least say, "When I was in my 30's I ran a marathon, what's your excuse?"

TomKat said...

You make me sound like I am dogging on you...if the ankle heals nicely, i'll be there with you :)

5ofus said...

Okay since right now I cannot physically run with my health I am coming to sheer you on!

Nay said...

I didn't mean to sound so negative.. of course, I'll support you if that's what you choose to do! Maybe I'm just jealous that I never could run! Go girl!