Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 22 - Space: The Final Frontier

Today marks the last launch of the space shuttle, as the U.S. government has brought the program to an end. It has been on the news all day, as if the country is in mourning. I can not lie, I am a little sad to see it end, although deep down I think it will be back {a new president, better economy, not to mention the nauseating idea of sending our astronauts on Russia's space shuttle - I imagine the cockpit smells like cigarettes and stale beer - could bring this to pass}.

My first memory, like so many kids of the '80s, is the Challenger space shuttle. I was in 4th grade and along with thousands of other kids that day in 1986, watched live as the Challenger disintegrated just over a minute after launch. It was a confusing moment and as it all became clear I can remember being sad specifically for the brave teacher, Christa McAuliffe, who for a brief moment inspired me to want to be an astronaut. Ever since then I tend to hold my breath after each shuttle launch, hoping for the best and fearing the worst.

In honor of all of those who have dedicated their lives to space exploration, I hold my hand over my heart. It's not over, just a temporary break before we're back in space.

No comments: