Thursday, January 10, 2008

Was Chopin Crazy or am I?

After several recitals full of fun, fast and often angry sounding pieces, I've had some requests to play something lovely and pleasing to the ear. So, with my upcoming recital, I have chosen Frederic Chopin's Berceuse, Op. 57 in D flat major (it was a toss up between Chopin or Liszt's Un Sospiro, which I also love - look for it next year). I think the Berceuse is beautiful and will probably put my audience right to sleep (well, it is a lullaby afterall...). I'll tell you what though, I am really struggling to memorize it. I'm sure any pianist out there can look at this piece and break it down and say, "what is wrong with you girl, it is so repetitive!" Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing. The left hand plays basically the same accompaniment the entire piece and the right hand plays a million variations of the same melody. Well, either I'm not dedicating enough time to the cause or my brain is missing some connections because I just can't get it together. Maybe its because I listened to this 8 year old child prodigy and suddenly I'm intimidated. This is for you, HJ!

No comments: