Thursday, June 12, 2008

Where the Good Things Are...

Monday I had an opportunity to go to the ABC 4 News studio with Tammie, Heidi and Venice to watch a live broadcast of the station's Good Things Utah, with hostesses Nicea, Angie, Reagan and a guest host (don't remember her name) filling in for Marti. It was so interesting to be behind the cameras watching - what a production it is to put on this little show everyday. There are a lot of people involved!
The reason we were invited to the show is thanks to Heidi. One of Heidi's friends from the Wasatch Mountain Club, Carol Macheter, 61 yr. old adventurer who recently returned from a summit of Mt. Everest, was being interviewed on the show.

During her three month adventure on the mountain she would send emails to friends in the Club documenting her experiences and Heidi would forward them to me. Heidi knows that once upon a time I wanted to climb Everest, but when I realized I would have to walk across ladders in crampons over giant crevasses, climb ice walls, struggle breathing, risk losing body parts to frostbite ormore likely die trying, I set that dream aside. And since I don't really climb mountains, I chose to live vicariously through Carol. I felt like I got to know her personally.


Carol started her climb at 8 PM and reached the summit at 6 AM on May 24, 2008. On the way down she was temporarily blinded, likely due to the altitude and the pressure on her eyes. Her eyesight was eventually restored, but it was a brutal return trip back to camp and, thanks to the help of her two sherpas, lived to tell about it.

Carol doesn't know it yet, but she's my new best friend. What an awesome lady. The best part is she came to the studios on her bike, walked in with a giant backpack and wore a 'Hike Moab' t-shirt for her interview. She's hard core, but so down to earth. It was a fun experience and I'm glad I was able to meet a real-live adventurer.



3 comments:

Jody Knapp said...

That is so cool Becky! I heard about her on the news. Amazing!!

Aquamama said...

Bec, you look sooo good in this photo! Did you know you are an inspirational friend!

Gold-E said...

Thanks J. You are too kind. I actually was pleasantly suprised how well this picture turned out. Thanks to the camera phone, you don't get a great look at my flaws. I"m ok with that :)