Sunday, June 8, 2008

True Colors

Disclaimer: this post may contain sexually explicit content. Read at your own risk. Please do not contact the editor if you are offended.
I was having the usual "5 o'clock round-up" phone conversation with G the other day when the conversation turned to something like this:

G: Hey, do you want to go the Pride Festival with me?
Me: The Pride Festival?? Isn't that the festival for gays and lesbians?
G: Yeah.
Me: Why would I want to go the Pride Festival? ... Pookie, is there something you need to tell me?

It turns out G's employer was a sponsor of the festival (you know, diversity) and G "volunteered" to be in the booth representing the company for a couple of hours. He didn't want to go alone, so he invited me to man the booth with him.

Have you ever been to a Pride Festival? I think this was a first for me. There are some things I just don't think of when I think of this particular festival . This includes:

1. Me and G. While we both know people who may attend this event, we are not generally one of them. I did get 'leied' while I was there.







2. Anything associated with the LDS Church. They had a wall for people to leave a message (which I don't know for sure, but have a feeling this message board will be sent to Church headquarters to make a point), as well as a pin to place in a map indicating where folks had served missions. I'm not sure if this booth is a cry for acceptance or a slam on a religion that will likely never bend.



3. What do you think of when you hear, "Budweiser?" I think King of Beers, Clydesdale, NASCAR, and all things manly. There was a funny sign just like this one (which I didn't get a picture), but had the rainbow flag around it. Kind of a juxtaposition, but I guess all good festivals involve beer, even where rainbows are concerned.




So those are some of things one might not expect. Here's what might not shock you at this festival (warning: this is where it gets a little explicit):


1. All things butch.









2. Ok, so this guy is obviously an entertainer, but the point is, there were some very interesting characters in the park today.










3. Need I say more?

8 comments:

Rachel said...

In Provincetown, MA there is a ton of this stuff and being 17 it was down right shocking. Then seeing it as an adult maybe not so much. Once again, a little shocking to see it on your blog of all places. Strange, very strange.

TomKat said...

Wow...pride huh? You two are some brave souls. Ironically Dustin tried to get me to go...I gracefully declined. ha.

Lisa said...

um.... that's interesting! I guess... way to go?

ML said...

Yeah, my little sister, Amy, and her friend who happens to be a girl went to the festival as well. She told us all, "I saw Mr...., my teacher, there!! It's so weird!" We all said, "Well, Amy, did you think about the fact that he saw YOU there too (with a girl, no less)?. He's probably going, 'Weird, I saw Amy at the Pride festival!" Just think...maybe people are saying that about you too. :)

Gold-E said...

No doubt I was a little nervous about that--especially since I was wearing a rainbow lei! Hopefully my wedding ring and girly looks kept the implications at bay...I hope :)

Elizabeth R said...

Haha.. good on ya. Way to support Daniel's people.

Aquamama said...

LOL!!!! LOL!!!!

Boo said...

Funny, I didn't see you guys there. Must have just missed you at the ring toss both. Must say, I got pretty good at that...even won some sort of furry stuffed taco. Don't know what Mexican food has to do with a Pride Festival though?