Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Men in My Life

Since it's Father's Day, I thought I would take a moment to pay a small tribute to the men in my life.
I start with G. Even though he's not a dad, he's still # 1 in my book. There's a running joke at our house that husbands are pointless. Even though I feel like I have to follow him around with a broom and dustpan, he's still a pretty good guy. He mows the lawn religiously, he does the laundry every week, he'll take out the garbage can, and never forgets the mail. He knows when it's "appreciation week" at our house and will take extra measures to help out (except he still won't take that dang suitcase downstairs...). He's smart. He's funny. And, believe it or not, G has a little mischievous streak. He definitely keeps my life interesting.
Meet my dad. Probably one of the most calm and collected persons you could ever meet. I've heard people are intimidated by him, even gone so far as to call him "Mafia." That's just because you never know what he's thinking. He's a hard working guy, whether it's getting up before the crack of dawn to schlep across town to his job, running his dream small-town convenience store for a summer (or just dreaming about running a small-town convenience store for a summer), fixing an old junker car in the driveway so one of the kids can drive two blocks to the Sev for a drink, or fixing dinner for the masses-because as much of a pain as we all might be (you pick your reason), he enjoys having us all together and we enjoy being with him.


Meet Randy a.k.a. Randal Clause, my step-dad. Randy and I met close to 20 years ago. I was just a tween and wanted nothing to do with him, but alas, my pre-teen antics didn't keep him away - and for that I am forever grateful. If it weren't for this guy, I probably wouldn't know how to ski (well, I'm still no Olympian, but I can enjoy the sport), would have little appreciation for the outdoors, wouldn't be able to put the Tetons on a map, and could never say I got to ride in "the truck." Whose stories would I have to roll my eyes at? And what would I do if I didn't get to hear about "the cabin" and every piece of furniture or fixture he and my mom are saving because it's perfect for "the cabin?" He has a big heart and a lot of love for all of his kids.

Finally meet Stephen, my father-in-law. Sorry, no picture. I've gone through every digital photo album I own and I do not have a single picture of him. Just imagine G in 30 years and you've got his dad. Stephen could easily be the smartest guy I know. An engineer by profession, his mind works in numbers. One weekend while G and I were visiting, he had programmed a number game, I think he called it "Bolts and Cogs," into his TI-86. He had summons me to play the game when in the background I hear Julie say, "Stephen, maybe she doesn't want to play." His reply, "Well, too bad" and proceeded to teach me the rules of the game. I never did really get it, but I was impressed with his genius nonetheless. From the first time I met Stephen, he's always been so welcoming and loving. That I appreciate more than anything.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Fun! I didn't know you had a blog! That's what I get for relying on Lansing for my information ;-) Feel free to link to us- I have about 2 readers as it is, always happy to have people drop by. Hope you're doing well!

xoxo,
Sarah

Nay said...

Nice thoughts on the men in your life. Thoughtful and sweet. Love you.