Monday, September 29, 2008

Lost in Translation

As I was walking back to my office after lunch today I was stopped by a man on the street. The exchange went something like this:

Man: Ethscuth me...
Me: {I stop and give him my attention}
Man: Cuyahelmasobelacapthilo?
Me: What?
Man: Cuyahelmasobelacapthilo?
Me: Shake my head as if to say "I can't help you" and walk away. Really, I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Anyone want to translate? I think it's Swahili, with a lisp.

In a dfferent conversation I overheard while eating my lunch a man asked another man, "How's the stock market?" The second man said with a chuckle, "When I left it was down over 700 points." Haha, very funny I thought. When I got back to the office I looked to see how it really went today. Yes, in fact the market was down 778 points at the close-the worst drop ever. I guess that guy wasn't kidding.

Strange lunch hour.

No comments: