Monday, February 2, 2009

Phelps Phlucks Up

My Olympic gold-medal superstar is human, or at least that's what the comments by the citizens are saying on CNN about Michael Phelps' recent bust by a British newspaper, who caught the swimmer smoking a bong {and we all know what goes in a bong}. It's pretty likely Phelps will loose some of his endorsements, his reputation, and a handful of fans. I admit, I've lost some respect. Phelps was a role model for what this country can be; what you get when you set a goal and work hard; how to make something of yourself when life hasn't always dealt you the best hand, and to do it with integrity and self respect. I held Phelps on a pedestal to prove to the world that America really does have potential, and here was the guy to prove it. How naive of me. How unfortunate that he would choose marijuana for a moment of magical thinking over a lifetime of hard work and accomplishments. I'm sure he'll be back, but I wonder if his return, no matter how great, will bring that same ecstatic feeling felt during the Olympics. He's tarnished. I suppose we are all humans who make dumb choices, but we all eventually pay the consequences too.

2 comments:

Rich Harding said...

I've been following the media on this. While I'm very disappointed, I'm glad he owned his mistake. All of his sponsors stood behind him, which I think is great. I am disappointed to hear that the city is considering charges against him.

Daniel said...

This was not his first stupid mistake. He had a D.U.I. in 2004 as well which I think is much worse than his newest stupidity. Some of the sponsors are starting to walk away slowly.