Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Big Love

The other day my sister was telling me about HBO's newest controversy over their drama series Big Love. Now, to be honest, I watch the show religiously {ha!}. It has a place on my DVR. It's rather entertaining and can be quite ridiculous, particularly since I fully understand modern Mormon culture. I don't really get polygamy, but the show portrays it as I imagine it.

When I first read the article depicting the controversial scene and saw the picture of the actress in temple robes, I was sick to my stomach. Maybe even a little offended. I couldn't really understand why HBO felt it was necessary to cross the sacred line. However, being a faithful viewer and knowing how the show typically runs, I figured whatever they show is likely going to be out of context and probably won't make any sense to the general audience - it just won't help the "peculiar" image. I've read the statement from Church. I couldn't agree more. The Church is big enough to draw media attention, negative and out of context as it sometimes may be. Don't let the media attention distract you from the Church's real purpose. Big Love? Big deal.

Photo from HBO