Monday, February 18, 2008

Snowed In

For President's Day weekend, we invited Kati, her friend Ben, Ben R., Amy and Koree to the cabin. Every visit to the cabin so far has been nothing but a big suprise to see how high the snow measures. Again, I am shocked by the amount of snow on the ground. As we pull up, we can't see the front doors. Here is a picture of the back of the house - while we were there, part of the snowpack on the roof slid off. Now I have an idea of what an avalanche on a small scale sounds like. I had a moment of wobbly knees afterwards.
Here is Mr. G giving us an idea of just how high the snow measured. This picture is from the driveway.


Kati is such a good little athlete. Saturdays, much like my Saturdays, are her long-run training days for the 1/2 marathon. I forfeited my long run knowing the roads were snowpacked and icy, but this didn't stop hard-core Kate.

Off she goes down the driveway when.....

a MOOSE runs by!
As Kati rounds the corner of the driveway I hear this squeel. "A moose!" Indeed. And a big one at that. This mammoth ran by several times. I think the poor thing was scared of the snow mobilers. It kept running up and down the street. At one point we were in the house talking about it when it ran down our driveway and nearly onto the porch! Kate said the people she met on her run kept telling her to be careful - there was a moose on the loose!
Here is a picture of Koree exploring the avalanche.
Later on in the day Koree and I went for a walk. While we were out, Koree thought it would be fun to have a snowball fight.

Snowball? What snowball?She got me pretty good in the eye.
To keep themselves busy, Ben and Kati built a snow cave. Apparently there was enough room for a person to sit inside - Koree could almost stand. I was too chicken to crawl into it so I just took photos of everyone else playing in the cave.

And what would a trip to a cabin be without Settlers of Catan? Here you see the gang on their three hour adventure.
Thanks for a fun weekend at the cabin. We enjoyed your company!

6 comments:

TomKat said...

We had so much fun and can't wait to come again! That moose and I are now good buds...yeah, and I've decided it sounds like Ben is a 12 yr old because he built a snow cave, but oh well, I'll keep him. :) Thanks again! Love you!

Sarah said...

Wow! I LOVE IT! Looks like you have found a great place to escape the craziness of the city. I can't believe all that snow!

Lisa said...

Snow caves are fun, there is no childlike behavior when one of those is being built! Although I'm with you on not wanting to inside. Sounds like you guys had lots of fun. I'm shocked to see that much snow!

Aquamama said...

LOoks like good times with good people, I love it and can't wait to come!!!!!!!!!

Rachel said...

I think I would have been done with my run if I saw a moose coming at me. Hard core Kate.

lulu said...

I don't know if you will ever get this comment, but all I have to say is...how can Settlers of Catan take 3 hours? 1.5 hours max. Anyhow...I love settlers. Did you get to play a round?