Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, America!

G and I spent Independence Day weekend up at our cabin in Idaho with G's parents. We celebrated our freedom by getting up bright and early to run a 10k race. The course started at about 7,000 ft elevation and followed a forest service dirt trail through the woods for 6.2 miles. This could have been, by far, the most difficult 10k I've ever run. First of all, it took me about 2 miles into the race to figure out how to breath at that altitude without dying. Once I got that figured out the trail turned to sand in several spots, then took us up and down steep terrain. I was so glad to see the finish line. Back at the cabin there was a 4th of July parade put on by the residence on the Island. Being the first time at the cabin over the holiday, I was so excited to get out and watch the parade.
People had constructed their own versions of a float by decorating their boats and ATVs. The little girls were waving like Parade princess' and the little boys were hucking handfuls of candy at the bystanders {that would be me and G}.
Maybe next year I'll put streamers on the spokes of my bike and wave a flag up and down the road.Later that evening a fireworks display was scheduled in the cove at the lodge on the reservoir. They fireworks were supposed to start at 9:45 P.M. At around 9:15 P.M. we could hear fireworks launching very sporadically. I kept thinking they were just giving us the 10 minute warning or something. Around 9:30 P.M. we walked over to the viewing spot. It was pretty cool to see all the boats coming into the cove. It was quite a sight with all the lights.
Here is a video of the awesome firework display. We weren't sure if this was the firework's beginning, or the end. It turns out it was, indeed, the finale. They ended at 9:43 P.M. Remember, they weren't supposed to start until 9:45? And they lasted a whopping 16 seconds. Also note: it was still quite light outside. Not exactly Sugarhouse Park.

1 comment:

TomKat said...

Look at you, preparing like crazy for the 24th of July 10K. haha, hopefully this weeks race will be a little bit easier...if not, you will be prepared for the terrain and I will struggle.