Saturday, April 19, 2008

April 19th - 1/2 Marathon TODAY!!!

Three months in training and today was the day! All of those long runs, short runs, stretching and aching and all winter on a tredmill, in the name of 13.1 miles! The weather was beautiful, with the exception of the wind. It seemed no matter which direction we were running, we were always in a head wind. It was fun to run all over town, including right past my dad's house at about mile 4. We had quite the cheering squad too - Dad & Kathy, Heidi and Kevin and Venice and several other neighbors and onlookers. I'm so glad they were out there. I was so pumped after running by and having them get excited for us.

That's G on the left of the picture in the gray shirt and me in the black next to him - all smiles!

It wasn't until between mile 11 - 12 did I really want to be done and I could feel myself starting to slow down. I wasn't really exhausted, but my bones were starting to talk. We crossed the finish line after 2:02 hours (admittedly this was not my best time ever, but a record distance!!) and met up with Kate. In all seriousness she says to me, "We should start training for the St. George Marathon in October!" Yikes. Physically I know I can conquer a marathon, but mentally....I haven't wrapped my mind around 26.2 miles. This was a hard run today, but a major achievement for me. Thanks to all of you who have cheered us on as we've trained and today towards success. It was fun! Let's do it again!

Here's Kate running by! She's an excellent runner, finishing about 7 minutes ahead of us.

9 comments:

TomKat said...

We're awesome! and I was serious about the marathon...we could do it! But for now we'll stick with the Alta Club 5k and the 24th of July 10k :)

Elizabeth R said...

I think you guys are so awesome! I really am so impressed with runners.. considering I cant run a single mile. Way to go!

Heather said...

Congrats! That is awesome. You should do the Top of Utah marathon. I hear it is a nice one to do. And then we could come cheer you on!

Rachel said...

I am so impressed and a little jealous. Too bad I can't run a mile without wanting to walk the rest of the way. I guess its time to get going again.

Lisa said...

Way to go! That is so exciting! I envy the ability to even to the 1/2marathon so to go 26.2 miles, I would think about that one. Although I know you could totally do it!

Lisa said...

Way to go! That is so exciting! I envy the ability to even to the 1/2marathon so to go 26.2 miles, I would think about that one. Although I know you could totally do it!

Jody Knapp said...

WoW! Congrats! Way to go!

P.S. The Chariot stroller is for XC Skiing =)

Aquamama said...

WAHOOOOOO!!! Just don't try to talk me into running with you and you always have a cheerleader cheering for ya!

Nay said...

We're so proud of you guys! Great job!