Thursday, March 13, 2008

Debussy's La Fille Aux Cheveux De Lin

Tonight was the "Federation" piano recital, where all Ms. England's piano students played a piece learned for the Piano Federation competition. Since I am the oldest student studying with Ms. England, I am actually too old to be a part of the federation festivities, but I do get to be a part of the recital. Here is a crappy recording of my original performance. Don't be too disappointed when you don't hear the first three measures and the last 14 measures of the song. The first missing measures is due to camera operator error. The missing 14 measures is my own fault for foolishly forgetting to clear-up some room on the memory card prior to the recording. Luckily my piano teacher's husband graciously volunteered to record a second performance after the recital so I will at least have a full performance on record. It will be a few weeks before I get that recording though, and it will be on VHS. First place prize goes to the person who can remember what VHS stands for!

What you don't know about this recording is just how nervous I am while playing. Not only am I nervous about the recital, but I showed up a 1/2 hour late (I thought it started at 6:30, but it really started at 6:00)! When I got there there were only three students to play before me. I had no time to meditate, so during my performance my pedal foot is shaking madly and my arms feel like Jello. Despite the nerves, I am proud of my performance. While this song isn't as "impressive" a piece as performed in recitals of yesteryear, it is one of my favorite Debussy compositions.


Since you don't get to enjoy the entire song, enjoy these beautiful flowers. My dear neighbor and biggest fan gave these to me tonight. I just love a bright spring bunch. And to my entire fan club, your support never goes unnoticed!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

All three of us fan club members? Good job Sissy.

Elizabeth R said...

I soo would have come to the recital even though I wasn't really invited. Daniel called me at 7:45 and it went like this:

"You should go to Beck's recital tonight."
"Ok, when is it?"
"I think it was at 6:30."
"Thanks Daniel, you're so on top of it."

I sure it was fabulous!

Gold-E said...

Don't feel too bad. I didn't really invite anybody, well... except my one-man fan base (my Mom :D) Thanks though.