Thursday, March 6, 2008

Hemstitch Dreamer

I am constantly dreaming of ways to capitalize on my domestic skills. During an entreprenuer fantasy the other night (while I was crocheting the edge of a receiving blanket), and after I'd recalled the painful experience earlier in the evening of driving across town looking for a half-decent fabric store that sells CUTE receiving blankets with a hemstitch (and was open beyond 6PM!), I had an epiphany. I should buy a hemstitch machine and sell receiving blankets, bibs, burp clothes and all the supplies (crochet needles, thread, patterns) one would need to create a crocheted wonder. I'd create an amazing website showcasing all the beautiful designer flannel fabrics for sale so the customer could mix, match and customize their blankets. Not only could the customer choose from a variety of designer fabrics, but I'd offer a number of crocheted-edge patterns that for a small fee, I'd create something very special by putting a crocheted edge on the blanket for the customer. My idea was playing out perfectly in my head. Suprisingly, this is one entreprenuer fantasy that Mr. G kind of supported. He usually rolls his eyes and tells me not to quit my day job (like my Happy Camper idea - which is not totally out of my e-fantasy, I'll have you know), but this time he offered up some advice and suggested I give it a try.


So today while my sissy and I were commiserating about our careers, I mentioned my idea (she's always my partner in crime). Of course she jumps online and immediately starts googling hemstitch machines. Too bad for me my bright idea isn't all that original. Of course there are several websites out there that already offer these services (mind you, my website would be way more upper class than any of those I found online), and the services were much cheaper than what I was planning to offer. To make matters more complicated, she informs me of the difficulties of actually finding a hemstitch machine to purchase and the price one would have to pay when a machine was found - prices ranging anywhere from $3,000 for a machine built, no lie, in 1895 and might work, or upwards of $10 - $15,000 for one brand new, plus shipping charges.

How many blankets would it take to break even? I still think it's a great idea, I just need to figure out how to make it better than what's already out there. Anyone want to sell me a hemstitch machine? How about any branding experts to make this not-so-original idea appear original? Call me.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I think it's a great idea! Although I'm having a hard time gettind my own business out there to be known by others, so I don't have any great ideas for you. But I'd check out your site! I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a hemstitch machine! Good Luck!

TomKat said...

So through my statistical analysis I have found your breakeven even number...I do think its a good idea! You and sissy are so creative, you should definitely capitalize on it. ...I've been in school too long, what a nerd...

Rachel said...

Gosh, Kate got me all excited about the statisticall analysis. I think its something like 5,000 and that would cover the cost of materials and the machine. In typing it that doesn't seem like that many really. Maybe I can go half with you. That is an even better idea. Keep searching for that darn machine.

Aquamama said...

I'll be a loyal customer!!!