Sunday, March 9, 2008

Knitting Shmitting

I consider myself fairly capable when it comes to domestic skills of all kinds. Knitting however, is one that has me stumped. It's like I have 10 thumbs trying to maneuver two sticks and a strand of yarn, all the while having to count my stitches. Just when I think I've got it down, it all unravels. Folks, it's not that easy.

On a recent trip to the cabin, my Mom pulled out her knitting bag and said, "Hey, why don't you knit a hat?" Right. I can barely knit a scarf (read: B-A-S-I-C). How in the world did she expect me to pull together a hat? My Mom has a lot of faith in my domestic abilities. So she whips out some crazy knitting needles that were attached to each other (alright, I'm already baffled before even getting started) and a ball of yarn and I start doing something that resembles knitting. When I am almost done and ready to "transfer to double point needles" (huh?), she realizes she has forgotten the double point needles. So I pack up my project thinking that is the end of that.

Tonight while visiting with my Mom, she pulls out my hat and says, "Let's finish this!" So fumble fingers here pulled it together and look how fun! I love it - flaws and all (just adds character, Mumsie!). Now I just need a kid to wear it, then make about four dozen more so I don't forget how to do it again. Let me know if you want one for your little ones!

P.S. Just as I had wrapped this up, my Mom says to me, "Now you should try socks!" Whoa. Baby steps, Mumsie.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I right there with you on the hat vs. socks. Socks aren't easy. And by the way did you ever see that sweater that I finished and had to give away? The arms were ape length and the sweater for a teeny bopper - wow I must be old that I just typed that (teeny bopper?) Anyway, just a few more steps and then socks.

Heather said...

That's awesome. I am still working on the whole knitting thing. A scarf? You want me to do what with those needles? Yeah, I have a lot to learn. Thanks for sharing your growing talent. I'm excited to see what you continue to do.

Nay said...

Just remember how quick that worked up and how cute it is! Ok, let's do some more hats then some simple sox. You'll get hooked!

lulu said...

I love the hat. I've always wanted to try one, but then resort to the B-A-S-I-C scarf. It's looks great. You eaven have different colors. I'd like to get the know how.

Gold-E said...

I'll teach you! Or, I'll just make you one. How big is Louise's head?

Aquamama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aquamama said...

Ahhh, you and I are so much alike. I finally cheeted and bought the Knifty Knitter! (SP??) I love it!