Sunday, March 30, 2008

Paul

We received a phone call this weekend that was so shocking, so unreal, I'm not even sure how to express my feelings. We learned that my step-brother, Paul, passed away in his sleep a few days ago. He was 28 yrs. old. Other than grandparents, I have never experienced the death of a close family member. We gathered as family today to show love and support for each other, my parents - especially Paul's dad, sister and brother.

More than anything, Paul loved his family. He loved his neices and nephews and they adored him. He was kind, funny, and playful. He always made us laugh, not because he was trying to be a comedian, but because he said the most ding-bat stuff sometimes.

I can recall one summer we were having a bbq in my backyard. Paul came over singing a line from an Eagles tune"Life's Been Good to Me,"... "My Mazda Miata does 185..." When we corrected him singing the correct words, "My Maserati does 185" he was embarrassed and tried to blow it off like he knew all along. He never lived it down and I'll never sing this song the same again.

I can also remember just before I was married, G was in grad school and it was finals week. I had just sold my house and was in the process of moving. Frusturated that I had no help, Paul shows up at my door. He and I moved my big furniture together. He never complained, never asked for payment, just wanted to be helpful. As small as this may seem, I am forever grateful for his service.

A few years ago Paul's brother Ben needed a kidney transplant. This would be his second transplant and he was looking for a donor. His sister wasn't a match, but Paul was. Without hesitation, he donated his young kidney to his brother. A small sacrifice for himself, but literally a life-saving decision for his brother.

These are just a few of many examples of how Paul lived his life. While he struggled getting motivated to go to school or work and sowed some wild oats in his days, he always kept his family first.

We will miss Paul dearly. I still can't believe he is gone. I suppose it will all become real as time passes. I take strength in knowing that someday we may see each other again. We all imagined tonight that he met Scarlet, the family dog and his pal, at the pearly gates. No doubt they are frolicking in heaven's dog park. As Randy put it, Paul and Scarlet were perfect pals. They both had the biggest hearts, but neither had a lick of sense in them.

We love you, Paul. Take it easy, man.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry. You are all in my prayers.

Rachel said...

This is a nice tribute.

Aquamama said...

Ohh, I'm so sorry. So scary! Prayers are with you babe!

Elizabeth R said...

Thanks for doing this..

Nay said...

Very sweet and eloquent, my darling girl.